Kropa's 'Chapel' stands above the village in the middle of a wooded slope. It was built as the result of miraculous events.
The succursal Church of the Mother of God is referred to by locals in the iron forging village of Kropa as 'The Chapel'. In the past it was a well-known pilgrimage church.
Construction of the church commenced in 1712 on a site above the village where seven boys found a devotional picture of Mary – Kropa's Mother of God, in 1707. At first only an altar was erected in which they placed the picture. One of the boys was a mute and following the event he miraculously began to speak, hence the site became a destination for numerous pilgrims. Locals later built a church on the site of the altar and the pilgrimage route declined in popularity thereafter.
The ground plan of the church is an extended octagon with a square presbytery. The church serves as an example of Baroque architecture. The bell tower was raised in the mid-19th century and now stands at a height of 56 metres. The design of its neo-Gothic roof is of particular note.
The interior furnishing are mostly from the Late Baroque period. In the niche of the main altar there is a picture of The Mother of God held by two angels. On the sides there are statues of Saints Florian, Joachim, Anne and Nicholas. Before the main altar there is a poorly preserved picture of Kropa's Mary depicting the miraculous awakening of a child, which is attributed to the painter Leopold Layer.
The church features a series of votive paintings and frescoes linked to the legend of the devotional picture, which is also represented by a large votive painting in the nave and frescoes on the triumphal arch (the work of Matija Bradaška). Among the votive pictures there is also one depicting the discovery of the miraculous image, which is attributed to the local painter Janez Krstnik Potočnik.
The 'Chapel' can be accessed via a footpath that begins at the house 'Kropa 7' and leads uphill to the church and the priest's house. The church is kept locked.